In this lesson I begin learn about sanity and continue to work principal two and step two.
Your Higher Power, Jesus Christ, loves you just the way you are
Insanity has been described as “doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result each time.”
Sanity has been defined as “wholeness of mind; making decisions based on the truth.”
Write About It…
1. What things have you been doing over and over again expecting a different result each time (insanity)?
* I have been bouncing from relationship to relationship trying to fill a hole that no one seems to be able to fill. I have been letting people love, care for, and accept me but then pushing them away instead of accepting the love and care they offer. I have been stuffing my feelings until they burst into a huge blow-up that consists of bawling my eyes out while asking the same questions over and over and over again!!!
2. What is your definition of sanity?
* I haven’t really come up with a definition of sanity. I guess I would have to say that I have no idea what sanity is because I have always lived with and in my own insanity. Maybe sanity is doing something different and trying to change the way I handle the same situation. Instead of running away from love, care and acceptance learning to accept it would be something that is considered “sanity” in my case.
3. How have your past expectations of yourself or others been unrealistic? Give Examples.
* I don’t think my expectations have been unrealistic since the last time I finished this book. I just ask that people be honest with me and I really, truly feel that that is a fair and realistic expectation. On the other hand, I expect myself to be able to complete everything just the way it is meant to be done. I have been known to answer questions in these books “the way they should be answered,” and not in a more truthful manner. I expect myself to be super house wife when I should be resting more. I also seem to expect that I can do it all myself and never have to rely on anyone else for help.
4. In the past, how has trusting only in your own feelings and emotions gotten you in trouble?
* It got me into a marriage that turned out to be a mess of wrong decisions. He hurt me by looking at porn within the first 3 months of our marriage, lying to me constantly, and unleashing his anger on me after we got married. The abuse was never physical but very emotional for me, it wasn’t even verbal it was the way he lied to me and then I would catch him change the story just a little and have to confront him just to get the truth from him.
5. How can your Higher Power, Jesus Christ, help restore you to make sane decisions? How do you get a second chance?
* I can learn to listen to his guidance through prayer, waiting, and listening to my Christ following friends opinions before I make any decisions. I need to learn to be more thoughtful and do less jumping into things without knowing the entire situation. By listening to Christ I can avoid repeating the same patterns that I have been repeating on my own. I have to ask for help and forgiveness in an honest and sincere manner to get that second chance and I am going to do my best to take it minute by minute instead of jumping ahead of Christs plan for my life.
6. What areas of your life are you ready to release control of and hand over to God? Be Specific.
* I am ready to release my fear of others hurting me. I have learned to reach out better. I still don’t pick up the phone and call but I do text instead of keeping to myself. I know that others accept me and love me through Him. If I would just release the worry about getting hurt again then I could learn to accept it knowing He will always be there for me even when people hurt me.