In this lesson I learn how a sponsor and accountability partner are helpful in my recovery. I continue to work on Principal 4 and Step 4.
Write About It …
1. Why is it important for me to have a support team?
* It will help me keep my inventory balanced, give me someone to call on when I am having a hard time, the girls can encourage me and help me build trust in others.
2. What qualities am I looking for in a sponsor?
* She needs to be kind, caring, strong, willing to call me on my denial, tell me the truth even when it’s not what I want to hear. She needs to be able to give grace and understanding when I am struggling with reality. She needs to be honest with me, be able to talk openly with me, be non judgmental when it comes to my choices and inventory. She needs to call and text me back, be willing to meet with me when I really need her support. She needs to be able to laugh, cry, celebrate, and mourn with me. She needs to have sobriety in at least one area of recovery that we share. She needs to understand what it is like to raise kids or at least understand that their needs need to be taken care of first.
3. How have I attempted to find a sponsor/accountability partner?
* I have asked the women I feel are safe and have similar areas of recovery as me, I have prayed for God to reveal her to me, and I have asked for guidance from others in my recovery areas.
4. What are some new places and ways I can try to find a sponsor/accountability partner?
* They can be found on Fridays at large group and open share and Tuesday nights at step study.
5. What is the difference between a sponsor and accountability partner?
* Sponsor should have completed a step study. An accountability partner can be anywhere in their recovery.
6. List the names and numbers of possible sponsors or accountability partners. These should be people I have met on my “Road to Recovery” who have touched me in the sharing of their experiences, strengths, and hopes.
* I have chosen not to list these people here due to the rule of anonymity and confidentiality reasons, but I do have a phone list in my CR Bible that I can refer to if I need to reach out to others.